2013-2021: The History and Philosophy of Sciences
The Chair Casterman-Hamers answers the need for a cross-disciplinary and university-wide education in the History and Philosophy of Sciences by means of annual series of invited lectures.
In 2013 the scientists Cécile Casterman and Raymond Hamers initiated an academic chair to answer the need for a cross-disciplinary and university-wide education in the History and Philosophy of Sciences. Cécile Casterman and Raymond Hamers are researchers who in the late 1980s persisted in investigating ongoing research on antibodies in their lab and then discovered a new class of antibodies in camelid species: the alpaca antibody.
Holder of the chair is Jean Paul Van Bendegem. Prof. Van bendegem is director of the Center for Logic and Philosophy of Science. He is also professor of logic and philosophy of science at the Philosophy Department of the Vrije Universiteit Brussel.
He is editor of the magazine Logique et Analyse, and promotor of several doctoral thesises at the CLWF.
His research focuses on logic, philosophy of mathematics, and the relations between science and religion. A few of his latest publications are: Perspectives on Mathematical Practices. Bringing together Philosophy of Mathematics, Sociology of Mathematics, and Mathematics Education (jointly edited with co-editor Bart Van Kerkhove, Dordrecht: Springer/Kluwer Academic, 2006) and Philosophical Dimensions in Mathematics Education. (co-editor Karen François, New York: Springer, 2007). His latest books are Hamlet en Entropie. (Brussels: VUBPRESS, 2009) and De vrolijke atheïst (Antwerp: Houtekiet, 2012).
With the support of the chair committee:
- Prof. dr. em. Raymond Hamers, Faculty of Science and Bio-engineering Sciences, VUB
- Prof. dr. em. Lode Wyns, Faculty of Science and Bio-engineering Sciences, VUB
- Prof. dr. em. Henri Eisendrath, Faculty of Science and Bio-engineering Sciences, VUB
- Prof. dr. Serge Gutwirth, Faculty of Law and Criminology, VUB
- Prof. dr. Nico Koedam, Faculty of Science and Bio-engineering Sciences, VUB
- Prof. dr. Em. Jean Reignier, Département de Mathématique, ULB
- Prof. dr. Thierry Vandendriessche, Faculty of Medicine & Pharmacy
- Marleen Wynants, Director Crosstalks
The chair is organized by VUB-Crosstalks with the support of the Université Libre de Bruxelles (ULB).
Marleen Wynants is CROSSTALKS Operational Director
[T] 32 (0)2 629 22 18